School Resource Officer
The School Resource Officer Program is fundamentally a Community Policing Program that encompasses a triad approach to Law Enforcement in the school setting. The primary job of the SRO is Law Enforcement, but in addition to the duties of a police officer, the SRO must also be able to provide Law Related Education, and serve as counselor when needed.
The goals of the SRO program in Carrollton are to:
- Increase the safety and security of the Schools.
- Reduce school crime and violence.
- Provide Law Related Education.
- Promote awareness of the duties and responsibilities of the police.
- Act as a liaison between the school and law enforcement.
Officer Jim Kellett can be found at Carrollton High School on all school days during the school year, but he also spends time at Carrollton Elementary and Middle Schools on a daily basis.
You can reach Officer Kellett via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
SCHOOL RESOURCE OFFICERS PROGRAMS:
Drugs and Alcohol Prevention: Target Groups 4th - 12th grade
- Discussion of different types of drugs & huffing; alcohol-group participation encouraged.
- Work with S.A.D.D. at the High School level on drug and alcohol awareness.
- Assist S.A.D.D. with Middle School program involving the same issues.
- Alcohol Awareness Seminar during Prom Time for 11th and 12th grade.
- Mock Crash Demonstration Prom time - " Day of the Dead"
Personal Choices/Proper Behavior in School:
- Target Elementary and Middle School students.
Science and Policing-Forensics: 5th Grade
- Crime Scene scenarios (a week long program) where students investigate a crime and follow up on the whole investigation in solving the crime.
- Evidence gathering.
- Crime solving.
Officers are your Friends: Target Kindergarten and 1st grade.
- Meet your Officer.
- Explain the officer's uniform and duty belt.
What is 9-1-1: Target group 2nd grade
- How to use 9-1-1.
- What 9-1-1 can do for you.
- Practice calling with a simulated 9-1-1 phone.
- Make emergency contact list for your refrigerator.
Work with school social workers for group discussions on Date Rape Prevention/Sexual Harassment: Target group Middle School and High School
- Group discussions.
- Video Education.
- Criminal charges if necessary.
- Assist the schools in referring cases to crisis intervention, school disciplinary problems, and truancy, FIA.
- Make referrals to the courts against students or parents on truancy issues.
- Home visits with school and social workers to at risk homes.
- Allow parents the opportunity to become familiar with the SRO Program, and for the SRO to answer questions about law related issues such as truancy, etc.
- Assist Principals with parent meeting reference child behavior issues.
Advisory Sessions with Students:
- Allow the student to ask questions about law related issues such as traffic laws, driver's license, family issues and problems at school.
- Meet with students reference behavior issues they are having at school and the consequences they could be facing if the behavior continues.
Drug Searches: Target All Schools and Parking Lots:
- Assist K-9 Drug units in searches of school and vehicles.
Jim Kellett, School Resource Officer